How Will the New Google Update Affect Your Content Marketing?
Updated November 10, 2022
Is your content in tip-top shape for the latest Google algorithm update?
Google recently introduced the August Helpful Content update, meaning high-quality, practical, original content will be rewarded on the results page. However, depending on your content marketing strategy, your site may be struck with lower rankings or remain relatively unchanged.
Knowing how this update will impact your content marketing strategies moving forward is essential for higher rankings and more business! This blog will look at how you can best approach your content strategy for better rankings and happier readers, plus an easy way to ensure consistent and quality content.
What Does the "Helpful Content" Google Update Mean?
The Google update, which began on the 15th of August 2022, will promote higher quality valuable content on the search engine results page.
According to Google, the "helpful content update [is] part of a broader effort to ensure people see more original, helpful content written by people, for people, in search results." It's part of an overall effort by Google to combat repurposed or SEO keyword-stuffed content that provides little value to the reader.
How to Know if Your Content Might Be Affected
Below are some of the considerations from the Google team to help you determine whether your content is on the right track. If you answer "yes" to the following points, it's a good sign that your content will rank well within the context of the new update.
- Would your existing audience find valuable content if they went directly to your page?
- Is the content based on first-hand and real-world experience?
- Is your website focused on a critical area or purpose?
- Are readers empowered and educated after they finish reading your content?
- Are readers satisfied after consuming your content?
- Does the content align with additional Google updates, such as core updates and product reviews?
Content following these objectives will do well as the latest Google update rolls out.
What Should You Be Concerned About?
In addition, consider the following points. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions below, it might be a sign that your content needs an audit and update.
- Is your content designed to attract readers through keywords rather than focus on quality?
- Are you over-producing content in the hope of some having tremendous success?
- Are you relying on automation to create your content?
- Are you summarizing other content without any value-add?
- Are you writing to stay on trend rather than provide value?
- Are readers leaving your page in search of additional information to supplement yours?
- Are you writing to a particular word count because you believe it improves ranking?
- Are you writing in a niche in which you are relatively inexperienced for the sake of traffic?
- Does your content not answer the question it set out to cover?
Content that prioritizes any of the issues above can lower your search rankings, impact your inbound marketing efforts, and reduce traffic to your business website.
What to Do to Make Sure Your Content Gets Found
With everything we just mentioned in mind, review the next steps to help you best position your content as a top place for curious readers and customers.
Undertake A Content Audit
A content audit is a review of your entire library of content on the page to optimize the content better to reflect the latest algorithm updates.
Review your old content, assess it against the criteria above, and ask whether it is original, helpful, and insightful. If it's not, you may have to edit the content to reflect these pillars better.
Make Sure the Content Answers the Right Questions
One of the simplest and most effective ways to create helpful content is to answer your customers' questions.
Some of the ways this can be achieved include:
- Creating accurate customer profiles
- Determine the questions these profiles or 'personas' may be asking
- Go where the customers go to find real questions: Reddit, forums, Facebook groups, YouTube comments
- Research questions with SEO tools
- Do a competitive analysis with high-ranking posts from competitors
Google wants to enhance the user experience by prioritizing content that answers search questions from users, so make sure you create content that fits that bill.
Don't Neglect Keywords
While keywords are an essential part of optimizing your page, they are one of many factors that affect the Google algorithm.
The right keywords plus a well-written and helpful blog that answers critical questions is a winning combination. In addition, the search engine will reward content that is refreshed and updated with new information regularly.
Leave It to the Experts
Keeping on track with Google updates and knowing all the moving parts to create quality inbound marketing content can be a drag.
Suppose you want to free up your time and focus on the one thing that matters to you—growing your business. In that case, it may be best to work with a professional marketing and SEO company like Geekly Media to help optimize your content for readers and computers. We stay current on all Google updates content creation best practices (so you don't have to)!
Refresh Your Content Marketing for Better Rankings
Google constantly changes its search algorithm. We've seen this latest "helpful content update" promoted fact-based and informative content promoted and repurposed while lower-quality content (that isn't primarily helpful) is penalized.
So, if you're ready to start producing content that gets noticed, brings in new business, and entertains your reader, reach out to Geekly Media today. If you've noticed a drop in your traffic and ranking since August, the time to act is now!
Our 2023 Search Visibility Booster is specifically designed to review and update existing content on your website to help it break through this latest Google Update. Click the link to learn more about this service and launch it for your business!